RollingStone.com: Latest News

Monday 11 August 2008

The Soul Of Stax

If you happened to catch the magnificent Soul Of Stax documentary on Sky Arts the other night you might be doing what I'm doing, which is digging out all your soul cds for a listen again.

It featured a lot of great interviews, and, not being a scholar of the genre, just a big fan, I learned a lot - I didn't know Booker T. & The MG's were the house band, I didn't realise that Donald "Duck" Dunn and Steve Cropper, who are two of the all-star band in the Blues Brothers movie, were in the MG's, and I also had no idea that the name Stax comes from the surnames of the two founders - white brother and sister, Jim Stewart and Estelle Axton. The performances featured were stunning too - Otis Redding onstage was an animal.

Take a look if you can track it down - it's an hour in front of the telly well spent.

No comments: