RollingStone.com: Latest News

Saturday 8 November 2008

Is this the best record collection we've ever sold in 21 years?

No, I'm not selling my records off, but that was the intriguing title of an email that came through to me yesterday.

It came from Eil.com, an online record store. that I've brought from previously so am on their mailing list, and boy, I'm pretty glad I am.

They've got hold of an the record collection of Weston Taylor, who I'd never heard of before. Apparently he was a music and society writer for, of all things, the News Of The World - but don't worry, this was in the '60s and '70s, before that particular organ of the press became what it is today. Of more interest to me though was the fact that he was a massive collector of vinyl (not that there was any other kind of music format for him to collect back then). His records have been stored carefully by his daughter for the past 30 years, since he died in 1975, and now they're up for sale.

It's a helluva collection and Eil say it'll take them a long time to get it all listed. There are some mega-rarities on there. I've already snapped up a couple, including a pre-release demo 7" of The Nashville Teens doing All Along The Watchtower from 1968.

Not only is it great music, but because it's all original and in mint condition, it feels like you're buying a little bit of history too. And if you don't fancy spending the money, I'd definitely recommend a browse anyway. The link to the collection is here.

No comments: