RollingStone.com: Latest News

Friday 9 January 2009

My Top 10 Albums of 2008

You didn't seriously think I'd be recapping everyone else's picks of 2008 and not use it as an excuse to tell you all what mine are, did you?

1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Utterly compelling. Both original and familiar, and for me there was never any debate that these five Seattle beardies would be number 1.

2. Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
Probably the album I've had the most pure fun to this year - it's taken the idea of a mixtape and a mash-up to a whole new level of ingenuity. It's legality is questionable, but really, who gives a shit?

3. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Packed with great songs, this was either destined to annoy you with its rather smug know-it-all attitude, or entertain you with its clever take on the past 30 years of music. For me, it was definitely the latter.

4. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Like Westwood would say, heavy hit after heavy hit after heavy hit. When an album has three great singles on it (Time To Pretend, Kids, Electric Feel), it's impossible to say it's not a great album (unless the rest of the tracks were complete stinkers, which these weren't. Phew, my point holds water.)

5. Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Stood out a long way from most things in '08. What's that you say? Let's do an album about John Delorean? But make it weirdly futuristic, like it's from the 2080s? And get a Welsh guy to sing it? I'm in!

6. TV On The Radio - Dear Science
More so-called art rock. Christ, if I'd have known art school could be this much fun I'd have never gone to Eton. Jokes!

7. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Recorded in a wintry log cabin in Wisconsin yadda yadda yadda. He's probably had more music mag column inches this year, and sometimes you just need to stop reading about an artist and listen to them. You won't regret it with this one.

8. Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
She is very cute, and so is her album. Some great tracks on here and although she got her slice of attention in '08, she deserves a lot more.

9. The Cool Kids - The Bake Sale
Minimalist hip hop from a couple of smart alecs (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). Hopefully on this side of the Atlantic, we'll see some more from these largely ignored guys.

10. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
I admit it, this was my first serious foray into the world on MMJ, but I'm glad I made the journey on this, apparently their most out there and eclectic album to date.


And for good measure, here's my Top 5 reissues of 2008

1. Rodriguez - Cold Fact
Like most people who got onboard with this, I asked how the hell this could stay hidden for so long. I paid £50 for an original copy of the record on Sussex Records (only to find the resissue a month later for £7, but hey, that's life).

2. John Phillips - Pussycat
Intended to be his first release on the Rolling Stones record label this is a great album for making you really feel like you're in the middle of a drug 'n' booze fuelled session in the mid-70s.

3. Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
Most critics made this their #1 reissue of the year, and it didn't disappoint with its deluxe packaging. Oh, and the music was pretty fricking good too.

4. Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Apparently Ryan Adams hates Whiskeytown now. Dick.

5. Beyond The Wizards Sleeve - 3rdmynd
Technically I don't know if this is a reissue as it's a collection on CD of the 12"s they put out. It's brilliant anyway.

No comments: