RollingStone.com: Latest News

Saturday 28 March 2009

Young Offenders' Institute - March

Bit of a quick in 'n' out for me last night at YOI, but as I'll be moving into the area soon then hopefully I'll be able to hang around a bit more in the future. Still, it was a good night and was getting better by the looks of it, when I was leaving (purely coincidence, I hope!).

I knew it'd be pretty empty when I started playing (I did the 8-9pm) slot, so figured I'd start off with something light-hearted in the hope of getting a rise out of the people that were there. They didn't seem to notice, or just thought it was par for the course when I'm playing. Anyway, that's some sort of an explanation for why I started off with Grace Jones disco-cum-musical number, Tomorrow. The rest was slightly less, err, 'eclectic', I hope.

Also used the CD decks last night for the first time - there are some great new tracks that I've found recently that I just haven't found on vinyl yet so I thought it was about time I put my stubborn principles to one side and just prioritised playing the best music I had, regardless of format. Have to say though, being completely objective about it, the sound out of the CD decks was nowhere near as clear, so it's nice to know my principles are based in some sort of logic, and not just there for the sake of it.

Grace Jones - Tomorrow
Frida - Tell Me That It's Over
Odmenn - Ord, Mord
Link Wray - Juke Box Mama
Soledad Brothers - Lowdown Streamline
Thee oh sees - Block Of Ice
Black Lips - Bad Kids
Black Lips - Short Fuse
The Soft Pack - Right And Wrong
The Virgins - Teen Lovers
Housse De Racket - Oh Yeah!
Dan Black - Alone
Thee Headcoatees - I Want Candy
Metric - Help I'm Alive
Miami Horror - Make You Mine
Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses (Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve Reanimation)
Eagles Of Death Metal - Wannabe In LA

No comments: