RollingStone.com: Latest News

Thursday 21 May 2009

Gig - The Soft Pack, 100 Club, London


Hmm. I'll come right out with it - last night's show was a disappointment.

If you've been reading the tracklistings for The Monthly, you'll know that I'm a big fan of The Soft Pack and the record's very good in a NYC/garage kind of a way, but for some reason last night's show just didn't seem to cut it.

Overall, the music was a thunderous rattling through of their tracks for 45 minutes, but with that racket (which works really well sometimes in small venues with garage bands), it made it very difficult to identify any of the songs - at least for me, and I know their stuff reasonably well. Plus, the singer just didn't seem to have any presence - I wasn't expecting Mick Jagger up there, but try not to spend most of the gig with your back to the audience.

The bassist and drummer were ace though, but that just didn't seem enough I'm afraid. I'll stick to the record.

No comments: