RollingStone.com: Latest News

Tuesday 2 June 2009

Global Cool - working for the good guys


I've never really gone into much detail here about what it is I actually do for a living, but I do actually earn money too, because believe it or not, blogging and DJing at my level aren't paying the bills yet. You never know though, maybe one day.

At the moment I'm working with a very cool bunch of people, which is handy because they work for Global Cool, but don't worry, this isn't going to be a sales pitch - I believe in saving the planet and am actually quite proud that in my very small way I'm helping on that front, so am happy to write something on here. Besides, there are lots of other jobs that I've done that wouldn't come near this blog in a million years, so it says something that I'm even sharing all this with you.

Global Cool is a climate change awareness charity, so in the words of Scissor Sisters' Ana Matronic at a GC-supporting gig, that means that we're asking people to "turn their shit off at night". Course, that's a simple way of putting it, but it kind of gets the point across too.

So the upcoming campaign is all about journeys, how cool they are, how crap getting the car can be, and how much more fun you can have on a bus/train/coach/canoe/whatever with your mates than in a car. A cynic might say etc etc, but you know what, to be honest, I've really found my drinking boots since turning 30 so I'm all for ditching the car (sorry Tilly! Yes - my car's called Tilly).

The best bit for me on a personal level is that I'll be going to a few festivals with GC where we'll be on site with our Global Cool bus (come and say hello) and having lots of fun at Download (metal-gods-a-go-go), Wireless (Basement Jaxx & Kanye West in Hyde Park - close to home woohoo!), going mental with a million shitfaced Scots on Buckies in a field at T In The Park and then lording it up at the genteel V festival, which is always pleasant and clean.

Musically, I can't wait to try and catch a bit of TV On The Radio, Ladyhawke, MGMT, Def Leppard, Blur, Kanye, NASA, The Specials, The Hours, The Virgins and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, all of whom are playing at some point at those festivals - we'll have to see how the work goes though! Most of all, I'd love to catch some of Faith No More - I've written about them before and they if you read that you'll what a special place in my heart they hold.

So, in honour of this summer of festivals, music and ethical travel, here's a quick playlist of my favourite journey themed tracks for your digestion. See you in the front row.

Bruce Springsteen - Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?
Secret Machines - The Road Leads Where It's Led
Doves - M62 Song
Willie Nelson - On The Road Again
Burial - Night Bus
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'
Beastie Boys - Mark On The Bus
Oscar Peterson or Guns N' Roses - Night Train (depending on if you want rawk or jazz)
Jimi Hendrix - Drivin' South
Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Soul Train
The Hollies - Bus Stop
Gladys Knight - Midnight Train To Georgia

No comments: