RollingStone.com: Latest News

Thursday 3 September 2009

Best. Promos. Ever. Special Edition

To celebrate the return of official music videos to You Tube, here's a special of this series of posts.

First off, there's this stunning effort. No words needed. Just watch...



Let's lift the mood a little. It was only a matter of time until this made it onto this series of posts, wasn't it?



Now let's see what's going on in outer space. I remember when this came out - it had a special tea time screening on Channel 4 or something, and it felt HUGE. He'd been away for a while I think and came back with this (probably his last decent song), and the video is kind of insane. Most expensive ever I think (at least at the time).



And now for a little more melancholy (you should be grateful that I didn't put this next to the Johnny Cash video). I've never known anyone to watch this and not well up, so tread with caution if you're not in high spirits right now. It's a beautiful promo that I think deserves its place amongst the greats. OH NO! I can't find the video on youtube for some reason, (so much for that deal!), but here it is with the director's commentary, which of course totally ruins the vibe, but hopefully you'll be able to see the video shining through.



And if you think that's bad, they made a second video for this song (thankfully without commentary), and it's equally bleak...



But to finish up, here's a video that'll always bring a smile to my lips. I remember this getting an airing on morning TV and Brian May and Roger Taylor doing an interview on the sofa with Frank Bough. Exciting times. Again, at the time, this was a hugely exciting video - up to you to decide if any of that's lasted through the years...

No comments: