RollingStone.com: Latest News

Thursday 24 September 2009

What the fashionistas listened to...


If you've picked up a paper in the past couple of weeks it won't have escaped your notice that it's been London Fashion Week lately. While I only have a passing interest in that, I was interested to see an overview of the best music from the catwalk shows. I say best, that's obviously subjective, and in this case, it was Daily Candy who decided that these were the best tunes from the shows.

My invitation must have got delayed in the postal strike so I'll have to take their word for it. Here's what they picked...

Libertango by Johnwaynes (at Vivienne Westwood)
Primitive by The Groupies (at PPQ, pictured above)
Scenic World by Beirut (at John Rocha)
Pearl's Dream by Bat For Lashes (at Matthew Williamson)
The Passenger by Iggy Pop (at Sienna Miller's label Twenty8Twelve)
Left My Heart In Tokyo by Mini Viva (at Issa)

It's a painfully cool mix of old nuggets, quirky underground dance, recent credible crossovers, upcoming chart botherers and Iggy Pop. Hmmm....I'd love to know what the rest of the music was like. The jealous part of me that would love to soundtrack a fashion show would like to believe that the rest of the time it was all Cher's Believe, nasty Latvian rave and oh-so-ironic guilty pleasures type stuff, but in truth I'm sure it was much better than that. Maybe one day I'll be able to report from the catwalk first hand. Though I doubt that.

No comments: