RollingStone.com: Latest News

Thursday 5 November 2009

The Wu-Tang Clan on Blue Note

There're a lot of clever things that get done with album art these days, and recently there was a great set of covers released where an artist (or some bloke in their bedroom, at least) had reworked a bunch of album covers as classic Penguin book covers. I thought I'd written about it here on the blog but can't seem to find it here so perhaps I didn't do it in the end.

Anyway, this set is right up there with that, as someone's taken the Wu-Tang Clan releases and put them through the "what if they came out on classic jazz label Blue Note" generator. It works a treat, not just because they've been done so well but also because there's something conceptually flush about the Wu and Blue Note jazz - I'd bet that there're are a bunch of Blue Note records littering the list of RZA's samples. Also, it's given rise to the delightful pun, Wu-Note Records.

You can check out the full set on this flickr page and to give you an idea of how good they are, here's my personal favourite.



Well done to Logan Mills for creating them and thanks to Stagecoach for putting them my way.

No comments: