RollingStone.com: Latest News

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Merry Christmas from ihrtmusique

Hello all

It's that time of year when it's becoming increasingly tricky to put a post per day up (which is my normal aim) so I'm going to sign off for a few days and leave you with this terrific festive 7" I picked up recently.


It's by the Springfields (Dusty being the one who ultimately 'made it') and came with Woman's Own magazine in 1962. Of the four tracks, We Wish You A Merry Christmas is my favourite, if only for its multi-lingual Merry Christmas-wishing, which is about as kitsch as it gets. I can't find a link to the music unfortunately, but click here to listen to their big hit Silver Threads And Golden Needles. I say it was a hit, but as the excellent sleeve notes from the 7" point out, that track "was not a hit here". Brilliant. In fact the whole thing's worth a read, so here it is below.


Merry Christmas everyone, catch you soon.

No comments: