RollingStone.com: Latest News

Monday 4 January 2010

Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

If you read my post recently about all the wonderful music presents I got for Christmas, you might have noticed the book about the Rolling Stones tour of the USA in 1972 (S.T.P. by Robert Greenfield). I dove straight in with that one and it's already a great read and I'm only 50 pages in.

In one of those funny little coincidences, I'm working away at home and have just put on one of the many music TV shows I recorded over Christmas and the first one is a BBC Guitar Heroes compilation of performances from the Beeb archives, and first up on said show is none other than the Rolling Stones in 1971, exactly the same era and line-up as the book I'm reading is covering. Right below is the performance itself that was on the show (presumably from Top Of The Pops or The Old Grey Whistle Test), and you can see Mick Taylor and Keith Richards (or Keith Richard as the book says he was going by in the early 70s) on guitars, Jagger on vocals of course, and Charlie Watts on drums, Bill Wyman on bass and completing the line up is Bobby Keys, a Texan who in the book seems like he's a real seen-it-all/done-it-all kind of guy.

A book worth reading and a clip worth watching...

No comments: