RollingStone.com: Latest News

Sunday 21 February 2010

DJing of late pt. 1

Apologies for the scarcity of recent posts, but sometimes that's the way it goes I guess. But I'm back in place now so will be getting back to something like normal service.

I've been DJing a lot more recently, and this week did two spots. One was for the ever-fun Young Offenders' Institute at their new venue, the Black Heart in Camden. None of us were really sure how busy it'd be, but it turned out to be jumping. Here's a shot of the typical enthusiasm for the night, courtesy of Team Global Cool...


I'd had a few drinks so was very much up for it, and it was a really fun night. I especially enjoyed (not in that way) the slightly effeminate rocker who kept coming up to me asking for things that I didn't have with me. Annoying, not because he was asking (I love it when listeners care about what they're hearing), but because most of what he was asking for is often in my bag, but happened not to be on that night. He started off with requests for Kiss or AC/DC. I offered him Aerosmith instead. Then he came up asking for Motley Crue. I said, sorry, not tonight. So he slightly flumoxed me by asking for Bloc Party. Nope. Then came requests for The Killers or Queen. Darn it. And all of this was in the context of me seeing him getting the most enjoyment out of the two electro tracks that I played - Justice and LCD Soundsystem. Go figure. So here's what I played - you can be the judge of what I apparently should have put on...

The Band - Theme From The Last Waltz (With Orchestra*)
Justice - Genesis
Aerosmith - Back In The Saddle
Jimi Hendrix - Day Tripper (BBC Radio One Session)
The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner
John Kongos - He's Gonna Step On You Again
Born Ruffians - Badonkadonkey
Television - See No Evil
R.E.M. - Stand
The Jezebelles - Tainted Love
Okkervil River - Unless It's Kicks**
Queens Of The Stone Age - No One Knows
Mariachi El Bronx - I Would Die 4 U
LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
The Breeders - Cannonball
Thee Headcoatees - I Want Candy
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
Joe Jackson - Is He Really Going Out With Him?
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
The White Stripes - You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)
The Drums - Let's Go Surfing
Muddy Waters - I Just Want To Make Love To You
Eric Burdon & The Animals - River Deep, Mountain High
The Guess Who - American Woman
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London
George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag
Weezer - Keep Fishin'
Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
Todd Rundgren - It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference

And here are the next couple of YOI dates if you fancy coming down. Not sure if I'll be DJing at all/any of them, but you're sure to enjoy whoever is. Oh, and the ping pong's fun to, course.

FRIDAY 26 FEBRUARY 7pm - Midnight @ The Fleapit
WEDNESDAY 10 MARCH 7pm - 11pm @ 93 Feet East

*not live in Camden, on the record.

**A guy came up to me to ask what this record was, so as the music was loud I showed him the sleeve and mouthed the words 'Okkervil River' and he made a nod of approval, so I turned the sleeve over and showed him the track title, to which he said "yeah I know, I've got the record".

No comments: