RollingStone.com: Latest News

Wednesday 1 December 2010

A very Fishy (Fishy) Christmas

I soundtrack a playlist of background music for a fantastic restaurant in Brighton called Fishy Fishy, which I've mentioned here in a Five fishy songs post, and here in a post ranting about the whys and wherefores of so-called 'chill-out' music.

Those posts were a little while ago and I'm still very happily updating their music regularly and it was time recently to head down on the train to handover the Christmas playlist. On the one hand, it's straightforward to put together (I mean, how many Christmas songs are there??), but on the other hand, the ethos with the music at Fishy Fishy is to have good quality music that's neither obvious or throwaway but also isn't intrusive, and the same goes for the Christmas playlist of course. So of course there's no Slade (sorry Noddy) or Wizard. I think I've got the balance right, but you'll have to visit there yourself to know what you think. The staff and owners seem to like it, so that's good enough for me.

And brilliantly, the music got a mention in a recent Sunday Times Style review of the restaurant...



Flattering hyperbole aside (I didn't say stop!), here's my five favourite tracks from the Christmas playlist I put together for them...

Binky Griptite & The Deekays - Stoned Soul Christmas
Classic soul with a sleigh bell backing...makes you want to put slippers on.

Low - Silent Night
Indie does trad. - the pick from their classic Christmas album

Chuck Berry - Run, Rudolph, Run
Like a slightly slower Johnny B. Goode, but about a reindeer, obvs.

Jimmy Eat World - Last Christmas
A great cover by Phoenix's finest of the Wham 80s hit, from an OC compilation

Vince Guaraldi Trio - O Tannenbaum
A staple of Christmas if you grew up in the US, this is from the soundtrack to the Charlie Brown Christmas special, called A Charlie Brown Christmas. You can pick any song off this, one of the most relaxing albums I know, for a cool Christmas playlist.

No comments: