RollingStone.com: Latest News

Thursday 17 March 2011

It was twenty years ago today...

Was talking to a friend earlier about the fact that it was 20 years since Nirvana's Nevermind came out, and that got us thinking about how good a year it was for music. Rock music, to be precise.

The fact that we were (and still are) massive rock fans probably influenced our opinion - I was 14 in '91 and just finding my feet as a music fan. And loving rock/metal of course, my first musical love.

So without getting too in-depth and scientific about it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 1991 has a fair claim to be one of the best years in heavy rock music ever. Prove me wrong. Here are some highlights...

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II


Nirvana - Nevermind


Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik


Pearl Jam - Ten


Aerosmith - Pandora's Box (while not a new record, this box set collection of rarities and old tracks was a big introduction to pre-80s rock for me)


Metallica - Metallica


Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger


Skid Row - Slave To The Grind (okay, this didn't exactly set the whole world alight, but I loved it)


Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said


Queen - Innuendo


Smashing Pumpkins - Gish



And it wasn't just hard rock - check out this list of bad boys...

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Blur - Leisure

R.E.M. - Out Of Time

Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill

Ice-T - Original Gangster

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

U2 - Achtung Baby

Oh, and 1992 wasn't bad either - Rage Against The Machine's self-titled debut, Beastie Boys' Check Your Head, Dr. Dre's The Chronic and Faith No More's Angel Dust all came out then. But I'll stop there otherwise I'll be doing this all night. To be fair, I can think of worse ways to spend an evening...

No comments: