RollingStone.com: Latest News

Saturday 27 September 2008

Young Offenders' Institute - September

Quite a busy night at YOI last night - played records for 90 minutes and chipped in with some bat-selling and game-refereeing. Give me the DJing anytime - that other shit is difficult. Here's what I played, in roughly the order I played it:

Shinehead - Rough & Rugged
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
The Isley Brothers & The Steadies - This Old Heart Of Mine
Roots Manuva - Again & Again
EPMD - Strictly Business
Notorious BIG - Hypnotize
Poison - Talk Dirty To Me
Rodriguez - Only Good For Conversation
The Motors - Dancing The Night Away
The Beatles - The Night Before
Talking Heads - Road To Nowhere
David Bowie - Queen Bitch
The Police - Message In A Bottle
Television - See No Evil
The Charlatans - The Only One I Know
Arctic Monkeys - Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts
The Hold Steady - Stuck Between Stations
MIA - Paper Planes (Afrikan Boy & Rye Rye Remix)
Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
Vampire Weekend - A Punk
Beck - Mixed Bizness
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
Fleet Foxes- White Winter Hymnal

The obvious highlight there is of course the Loggins classic, Footloose - seriously, I'm not kidding - which at the end of the night seemed to go down well with people who'd had a few drinks. Otherwise, Message In A Bottle went down a treat, as did The Only One I Know. Thank god there no obvious duds (at least not that I noticed through my slightly drunken ears, but then I would say that). Actually, thinking about it, some guy was doing OTT ragga dancing to the Shinehead track and I'm not sure if he was taking the piss, or just drunk. Probably both.

Hope to see you on Friday 31st October - Halloween themed, no less. Check out the website for details of the next one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I love this service, Mr. W. - I can never remember what DJ played what by the time I wake up the next morning. It's been said before, but solid gold bombs here. Solid. Gold. Bombs.

PS I was the obvious 90s teenager, singing along at the top of his voice to The only one I know.
While he should have been refereeing a game of ping pong.

MRW said...

Glad you like it Dan - it's useful to me too to make sure I don't play the same tracks every month.