RollingStone.com: Latest News

Tuesday 14 October 2008

Cover Track #8


I'm watching Jools Holland's Later show, and Glen Campbell's just popped up. And he's doing a Foo Fighters' song. Times Like These to be precise.

I'm not sure how that makes me feel. He's a legend - at least in the world of country music, even if he's not to your taste. But hasn't this been done before? By Johnny Cash? By Paul Anka? I feel like I'm in danger of repeating myself here so I won't go on, but check out the Musical Talking Points #1 post below for some more on a similar subject.

It was a good shot at the song though, and the guy's voice was as prairie-homespun as ever. Shame he had to read the lyrics so obviously off an autocue, but the guy is 72, so I should probably cut him some slack. And another tick in the Vote For Glen column is of course the towering Wichita Lineman, which brings to mind a million covers of that track by, holy shit, everyone. Ray Charles, The Meters, Johnny Cash (he couldn't help himself could he?), REM, James Taylor, Gomez, Sammy Davis Jr, Smokey Robinson, Andy Williams, Urge Overkill, Jimmy Webb, The Fatback Band, Kool & The Gang - that's quite some list of compliments.

Back to the point - the album's called Meet Glen Campbell and features covers of U2, Travis, Green Day, Tom Petty and the Foos. If you like that sort of thing, you should check it out. I know I will, but I also know that I'll be questioning the logic of it.

No comments: