RollingStone.com: Latest News

Wednesday 12 November 2008

Okkervil River gig


A great gig by Okkervil River last night at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in London.

It was the first time I've seen them live, but everyone who I know who has been introduced to them recently has really been taken with them. Makes you wonder why a high quality band like that can remain hidden from most people for all this time, given that their new album is their fifth.

And while I'm extolling their virtues I'd like to point out one of my favourite features of Okkervil River, and that's their song titles. They've without a doubt come up with some of the best song names ever. I draw your attention to Bruce Wayne Campbell Interviewed On The Roof Of The Chelsea Hotel 1979, Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe, You Can't Hold The Hand Of A Rock And Roll Man and Listening To Otis Redding At Home During Christmas.

A class band all the way.

No comments: