RollingStone.com: Latest News

Sunday 26 April 2009

Book Slam @ Camden Crawl

A friend, the author Patrick Neate, runs this cool club called Book Slam, which showcases lots of spoken word artists, and they held an afternoon at the Jazz Cafe as part of Camden Crawl yesterday. I'm not a regular on the decks for them but was asked to have a go at filling the gaps between artists. After thinking about it for less than a second, I agreed, even though it was the day after I'd moved - far too good an offer to pass up on.

It was a great afternoon, very relaxed, and with an array of really interesting performers, which is what Book Slam's known for. Patrick started with a brilliant piece about getting slowed down in London - easy to relate to for all the crowd. Good comedy from Dan Antopolski (loved his chart of statistical probability of laughing certain body parts off), compelling turns from Scroobius Pip and Dockers MC, and readings from their books by Joe Stretch (Friction), John Niven (Kill Your Friends) and Howard Marks (Mr Nice). Oh, and some very endearing acoustic stuff from London lady Lail Arad.

So in between, these are the tracks I put on, which didn't seem to drive anyone away, and that's about the best thing you can hope for at a time when no-one's there for you.

The Very Best - Kamphopo
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
M.I.A. - Jimmy
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
Neon Neon - Dream Cars
Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone
Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes
Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor
Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream
Goldfrapp - Happiness
Metric - Help I'm Alive
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Soft Shock
TV On The Radio - Crying
Bat For Lashes - Daniel
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
The Soft Pack - Right And Wrong
Television - See No Evil
Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem Pour Un Con
Toots & The Maytals - 54-46
Dillinger - Cokane In My Brain
Aretha Franklin - The Weight
John Barry - Midnight Cowboy

No comments: