RollingStone.com: Latest News

Friday 26 February 2010

Book Slam at The Tabernacle


Last night was the first time I'd DJ'd at The Tabernacle, the home of Book Slam for the past year or so. There were just three performers last night - Scottish poet Robin Robertson, whose poems were sombre stuff, but he had a great way of finding some wicked humour in it, musician Tawiah (below), who channelled a lot of good old psych rock in her music I thought, and my personal favourite of the night, US author Joshua Ferris (below, below). He was there reading from his new book, The Unnamed, and from the extracts he gave us, it's definitely one to read. And I had a chat with him afterwards while asking to him to sign a book for me, and he seemed like a lovely bloke to boot.

Oh, and not forgetting, I got a great compliment from a couple at the end of the night who thought my set was great, and who said it was great that I "got the tone of the evening just right". Hoorah!





I did the usual Book Slam thing of filling in the gaps between acts and always enjoy that. Worth pointing out that the setlist below didn't run exactly like that because there were gaps in it when the performers were onstage. Great for me because it allows me to switch things up a little. So right at the end, I thought I'd re-start with a bit of cool American alt stuff. So in case you're looking at what's below and thinking that to go from Bobby Womack to Vampire Weekend sounds like a challenge, that's not what I did. I'm sure some DJs are clever enough to pull that off, but that ain't me I'm afraid.

Grant Green - Sookie Sookie
Carmen McRae - The Sound Of Silence
Odetta Gordon - Hit Or Miss
Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out
Candi Staton - I'd Rather Be An Old Man's Sweetheart
Professor Longhair - Big Chief
Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard
Toots & The Maytals - Pressure Drop
Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - Tracks Of My Tears
Muddy Waters - I Just Want To Make Love To You
Edwin Starr - 25 Miles
Dangerdoom - Old School Rules
The Slickers - Johnny Too Bad
Idris Muhammad - Express Yourself
Aretha Franklin - The Weight
Erick Sermon Feat Marvin Gaye - Music
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Baby Dontcha Worry
Brother Jack McDuff - The Vibrator
Herbie Hancock - Wiggle Waggle
Big Daddy Kane - I'll Take You There
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street
Vampire Weekend - Cousins
Beck - Guero
Jamie T - Chaka Demus
Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks

No comments: