RollingStone.com: Latest News

Monday 24 January 2011

Lenny Kravitz & Slash

This video came up in conversation over the weekend - I was reminiscing about RAW magazine (below) and the TV show they used to have on ITV in the middle of the night back in the late 80s/early 90s. Phil Alexander presented it, who's now at the helm of Mojo magazine funnily enough. I used to tape it on timer in the night and then scan through it on Friday morning before having to go to school.



This was in the days when I didn't have MTV (most people I knew didn't) or the web, so this was the only way I was going to get to see new videos. And out of all the bands, songs and videos that I discovered via the RAW TV show (needless to say I was a big metal fan as a kid), this is probably the track I remember most distinctly.

First of all, no one had told me that members of my favourite bands, in this case Slash, were going to pop up in somebody else's videos. Was that even allowed?!? Secondly, the song was, and still, is fricking awesome - rock in a cool way that very few people manage to pull off, with a massive riff from Slash. And thirdly, I'd never heard of Lenny Kravitz before, so that was a little bonus (not that I can claim to have become a particularly big fan subsequently). Anyway, preamble over - here's what I'm pleased to say I still consider to be a kick-ass video.



PS I love the top right headline on the cover above - I have vague memories of this story, with a fight between Sebastian Bach from Skid Row and Jon Bon Jovi. ROCK FIGHT!!

No comments: